2233 University Ave. W. #355
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-251-0868 fax 651-917-3561
staff at mncitizensforthearts.org
- I am alarmed at press reports that some legislators are proposing diverting the Arts & Cultural Heritage Fund to pay for a Vikings Stadium. I want you to know that, as your constituent, I am absolutely opposed to using this Fund for the stadium.
- Thousands of Minnesotans worked together on the Clean Water, Land and Legacy Vote Yes campaign to ensure dedicated funds for the outdoors and for the arts and history. Diverting these funds is not only illegal, but a bait and switch to the taxpayers who voted for the amendment with the belief that we were preserving the arts and outdoors.
- Those who have made this proposal have obviously not read the constitution. The constitution limits says these funds “may be spent only for arts, arts education, and arts access and to preserve Minnesota’s arts and cultural heritage.” There is no mention of stadiums anywhere in the constitution.
- It is clear that the legislative intent of the Fund is to support Minnesota’s arts and history. No where in that debate, nor in the constitution itself, is there language that says these funds can be used to pay for-profit stadium. Legislative intent is very clear on this matter.
- The non-profits in every corner of Minnesota who depend upon these resources to provide arts opportunities in every county would be harmed by this proposal. There is not a single legislative district that would not have a negative impact from it.
- Please immediately oppose the diversion of Legacy funds for any stadium.
Everything MCA does is made possible by our passionate and committed members.
JOIN Today on MCA’s secure web site at: mncitizensforthearts.org/join/membership/individual-memberships/
FACEBOOK: Minnesota Citizens for the Arts
GIVE COOL ARTS ADVOCATE GIFTS from MCA’s store at: www.cafepress.com/mnforthearts
TAKE ACTION: www.mncitizensforthearts.org at our frequently updated, one-stop site for: information about
Minnesota Citizens for the Arts and how you can get involved, an Action Center where you can write a letter to your legislator, or even find out who your
legislators are, facts about the arts in Minnesota, the latest on legislative and congressional action on arts issues and more!
PRIVACY: MCA values your privacy, and will not sell or distribute your personal information to anyone.
ABOUT: MCA is a nonpartisan statewide arts advocacy organization whose mission is to ensure opportunity for all people to have access to and involvement in the arts. MCA organizes the arts community and lobbies the Minnesota State Legislature and Congress on issues pertaining to the nonprofit arts. If you are interested in learning more
about how to advocate for the arts, or how to activate people in your arts organization or community to lobby for the arts, please call us at 651-251-0868 or e-mail staff at
mncitizensforthearts.org. State arts funding supports access to the arts for all Minnesotans. The state-funded Minnesota State Arts Board and eleven Regional Arts Councils provide grants and services in every Minnesota county for artists, arts organizations, arts projects and school artist residencies. For more information on regional or state grants, go to www.arts.state.mn.us.