November 7, 2007
1. MCA Seeking Volunteers
2. You Can Comment on Minnesota’s Arts Education Standards Until Nov. 20
1. MCA Seeking Volunteers
Minnesota Citizens for the Arts is looking for some volunteers to help with a huge mailing. Can you help? Please join us at the MCA office, 2233 University Ave. W. #355, St. Paul, MN:
DAYTIME: November 8, 9, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 19 and 20, 9am-5pm
EVENING: Monday, Nov. 12, Tuesday, Nov. 13, or Wednesday, Nov. 14 from 5:00-8:pm
If you can help please let Mark Albers know at email@example.com or 651-251-0868 so we can be sure we are ready to greet you.
2. Comments on Minnesota’s Arts Education Standards Being Taken Until Nov. 20
You can impact the new academic standards for the arts in Minnesota. Minnesota requires the arts in Minnesota schools through the state’s academic standards. The following information comes from the Minnesota Music Educators Association:
During the 2007-08 school year, a committee, appointed by the Commissioner of Education, is reviewing and revising the Minnesota Academic Standards in the Arts (music, visual art, dance and theatre). The first draft is available now, and the public comment period is from November 1 – November 20. You can provide input by doing any of the following.
1) Go to one of five town hall meetings where the Arts Standards will be discussed. They are being held in Bemidji (Mon, Nov 5), Marshall (Thurs, Nov 8), Rochester (Mon, Nov 12), Golden Valley (Tues, Nov 13) and Duluth (Thurs, Nov 15). All meetings are from 6pm – 730pm. A detailed list of locations is posted on the Arts Standards Revision page of the MDE website: http://education.state.mn.us/MDE/Academic_Excellence/Academic_Standards/Arts/index.html
2) Ask members of your booster group, members of the PTA/PTO, parents of your students, administrators, school board members and other interested community members to attend one of the town hall meetings. Ask everyone to show their support of arts education.
3) Download the draft document, review the document, and share your input. An online submission form is available on the MDE website, as well as a comment form to download, complete and mail. All documents and forms are available on the Arts Standards Revision page on the MDE website. Input (online or via mail with the comment form) must be received by 4:30pm on Tues, Nov 20. Any interested person (parents, administrators, school board, educators and so on) can provide input on the document.
4) Send this information to other arts educators in your school or school district. The Arts Standards Revision page has all of the information you need. Scroll down to download the DRAFT revised standards, titled Arts Standards Revision – Draft One (Nov 2007). The schedule for public meetings is toward the bottom of the page and is titled Town Meeting Schedule. The link to provide input online is close to the top and is labeled online feedback form with a hyperlink. You can also print a feedback form and mail it to MDE. The feedback form to print is titled Public Comment Feedback Form and is close to the bottom of the page. If the link to the Arts Standards Revision page does not work, go to http://education.state.mn.us/MDE/Academic_Excellence/Academic_Standards/Arts/index.html You can also go to the main page for the Department’s website (education.state.mn.us), click on the Academic Standards link on the right, then the Arts link on the right. Finally, contact information for staff at the Perpich Center for Arts Education is included on the page if you have any questions. Thanks for taking the time to review the standards in the middle of a busy school year. MMEA Office firstname.lastname@example.org 763/566-1460