NEWS from Minnesota Citizens for the Arts:
1. Arts Advocacy Seminars Offered in Greater Minnesota
2. Help Elect an Arts Governor
Arts Advocacy Seminars Offered in Greater Minnesota
The Forum of Regional Arts Councils, in cooperation with Minnesota Citizens for the Arts and the Minnesota Alliance for Arts in Education, presents: “Telling Our Stories: Advocating for the Arts in Your Community”
Who should go?
* Arts leaders and artists from your community
* Arts organization staff and board members
* Teachers, school board members, arts active par-ents/CAPP members
* People who believe in and advocate for the arts
Why do we want you there?
* The understanding you have of your community – its arts successes and challenges – is information that others will want to learn.
* Your experiences are important
* Your continued arts leadership as well as your ability to pass on training to new leaders is needed.
How can you use the skills learned at the workshop?
* New tools, statistics and strategies acquired will help you influence decision-makers in your community to support the arts more generously
* New, beneficial connections within your community and with others in your region will help you collaborate for joint projects more effectively.
* The innovative and exciting success stories of others will ignite you to try new ideas or continue to pursue your current arts agenda.
* You will become aware of strategic points of pressure in town, city and school district systems that might increase the arts programming in your community
Dates and Locations
Thursday, September 5,
11:30 am-4:00 pm The Inn at Maple Crossing, Mentor, MN
RSVP deadline: August 30
Saturday, September 28,
9:30 am -3:30 pm Montevideo Public Library, Montevideo, MN
RSVP deadline: September 23
Saturday, October 26,
9:00am – 3:00 pm Lake Superior College, Duluth MN
RSVP deadline: October 21
Registration is $15 and includes lunch. Please make checks payable to the RAC Forum and mail to:
2233 University Avenue West, Suite 355
St. Paul, MN 55114
OR Call Geri Katz at 651-251-0868 and leave your name, address, phone number and e-mail address.
Do Your Part to Elect an Arts Governor!
Arts Advocates have already sent thousands of postcards to the major party candidates for Governor, urging them to make the arts part of their agendas. Any one of the current candidates for Governor could win the race this fall. This is a perfect opportunity to ensure that the next Governor of Minnesota is an Arts Governor. It is imperative that all of the candidates understand the importance and impact of the arts in Minnesota.
If you haven’t sent your cards yet, please send them soon! The first set of postcards covered candidates Roger Moe (D), Tim Pawlenty (R), and Ken Pentel (G). We also have new cards available to send to Independence Party candidate Tim Penny. If you would like one, please call MCA at 651-251-0868 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you’ve already sent your cards, but would like to give some to your friends, family, coworkers, volunteers or board members, let us know!