Arts Alert: Mayors Declare Nov. 1st to be “Minnesota Citizens for the Arts Day!”

It’s “Minnesota Citizens for the Arts Day!”

The Mayors of Saint Paul, Minneapolis, and Duluth, Mayor Chris Coleman, Mayor Besty Hodges and Mayor Don Ness are celebrating MCA’s 40th Anniversary by declaring it to be “MCA Day” in all three cities. What fun! Thanks so much to the thousands of the arts advocates across the state who have worked with us to make the arts more accessible in Minnesota. Cheers!

PROCLAMATION

Whereas: Minnesota Citizens for the Arts (MCA) is celebrating its 40th year advocating for the arts in Minnesota, working to make the arts accessible to all citizens, and

Whereas: The arts represent the heart and soul of all civilizations, play a vital role in our quality of life and enhance the education of our young people, and

Whereas: Minnesota is recognized nationally for its high quality arts and cultural institutions, with over 42,000 working artists and 1300 arts organizations that provide an annual economic impact of over $1 billion to our state, and

Whereas: In 40 years of advocating for the arts in Minnesota, MCA’s signature accomplishments include: Passage of the Clean Water, Land and Legacy Amendment creating 25 years of dedicated funding for the arts, a role in the passage of the state Percent for Art program and creation of the eleven Regional Arts Councils, and serving as a watchdog for the nonprofit arts sector, and

Whereas: Throughout its 40 years, citizens of Saint Paul/Minneapolis/Duluth and the surrounding regions have served on the board Minnesota Citizens for the Arts,

Now, therefore, I, Betsy Hodges, Mayor of the City of Minneapolis, do hereby proclaim November 1, 2014, as:
MINNESOTA CITIZENS FOR THE ARTS DAY
IN THE CITY OF MINNEAPOLIS

Now, Therefore, I, Christopher Coleman, Mayor of the City of Saint Paul, do hereby proclaim Saturday, November 1st, 2014 to be:
MINNESOTA CITIZENS FOR THE ARTS DAY
IN THE CITY OF SAINT PAUL

Now, THEREFORE, I, Don Ness, Mayor of the City of Duluth, do officially proclaim November 1, 2014, as
MINNESOTA CITIZENS FOR THE ARTS DAY
IN THE CITY OF DULUTH.

THANKS ALSO to Mayor Ardele Brede of Rochester who created a proclamation to “recognize and congratulate Minnesota Citizens for the Arts for their 40 years of service to the state,” along with Mayor Adams of Grand Rapids, Mayor Baustian of Luverne, Mayor Bender of Red Wing, and Mayor Maxwell of Hopkins. Thanks also to Minneapolis Councilwoman Elizabeth Glidden for her recognition as well.

Thank you so much to all, and congratulations to all of you wonderful arts advocates!

Don’t forget to Vote on Tuesday!

The election is next Tuesday. The outcome will determine many things, including the fate of the arts. Do you know where and how to vote? Check out all of these handy links on MCA’s website: http://www.mncitizensforthearts.org/actnow/legislatorsupport/2014-election-information/.

Need to know how the candidates stand on arts issues? Of course you do! Check out their answers to our Legislative Questionnaire so you can vote smART.
(Correction: In our previous alert, we had a typo in our reporting of the statistics about how legislators had responded to the Question 3, about protecting the 47% statutory dedication to the MSAB and RACs, should have read that 60% (“Enthusiastically Support”) and 29% (“Support”), for a total of 89% of respondents in support).